A job cover letter or job application letter is your introduction to potential employers. A
cover letter or job application letter is your sales pitch to the company you are applying to.
A cover letter is not a summary of your resume and it doesn't replace
a resume. A cover letter complements your resume. The main objective of the job application
cover letter & resume is to get the employer interested in calling you
for an interview.
Check out these very popular career, job
search, pay & salary frequently asked questions & answers
Each cover letter or job application letter should be tailored for the position
and company you are applying to.
- Always send a cover letter or a job application letter with every job application/ resume
submission. No exception.
- Check job application closing dates and always apply early.
- A job application cover letter should be a brief and simple one page letter.
- Use CV action
describe yourself, your skills and your strengths.
- Each specific job application cover letter should have information relevant to the description of the advertisement of the
position. So, show the skills and expertise that you
have that match the description of the job you are applying for.
- Address each letter to a specific person. If only the person's
title is indicated in the job advertisement, phone the company &
ask for the person's name. It will show that you went through the
extra trouble to find the person's name.
- Just as important as tailoring each cover letter for the position,
so is tailoring it for the company
you are applying to. You can do this by researching the company you
are applying to. Keeping this company info will also be handy at interview
- Don't be fake.
- Don't mention negative aspects of yourself or your history.
- You can prepare a general cover letter, which must be edited for
each specific job.
- It's a good idea to keep a photocopy/ record to help you remember
what you wrote in the letter.
- At this early stage, the employer is only interested in what you can
do for their Company, so keep that in mind when preparing your cover
letter or job application letter.