Editing & proofreading is a must to ensure your document is free of
grammar, typos, spelling & structural
mistakes. For the perfect outcome, always edit & proofread and/
or have someone edit & proofread for you. Take a break between writing
& editing and another break between editing & proofreading. Also
see resume writing.
To follow are some helpful editing & proofreading tips:
- Read out loud and read slowly. Avoid reading quickly.
- Point your pen or pencil to the words you are reading so you don't skip anything.
- Once you finish writing your draft, print the document, so you can
start marking up the printed document.
- Start editing by checking content, style, clarity & overall
- Once you have completed your editing and you have made all the
necessary revisions, start with proofreading.
- Read through the document several times, once for spelling, once for
- Use a spelling checker, but don't rely on it, as spelling checkers
don't distinguish between similar words (for example the difference
between the words from & form) & they may
suggest a word that isn't exactly the word you want to use. So if you are not sure,
always check using a dictionary or an on-line dictionary..
If you are serious about your job search, don't
ignore the hidden job market.