Job search mistakes usually decrease your chances of landing your dream
job & mistakes will delay your success in your job search. Learning how to avoid
job search mistakes will help you land the job you are after quicker.
To follow are job
search mistakes you need to avoid:
If you are serious about your job search, don't ignore the
hidden job market, by networking & cold calling.
- Doing a letter writing campaign by sending out your resume to
hundreds of companies, without directing your letters to specific
- Having a non-presentable resume and/ or cover letter.
- Not preparing and/ or not practicing for the job interview. The
more you prepare, the better chances you have of succeeding.
- Arriving late for a job interview.
- Not trying hard enough. You must keep at it & not give up.
- When networking, asking for a job instead of asking for
suggestions and referrals.
- Applying to jobs you really donít want.
- Starting your job search before deciding what career path you
want to pursue.
- Not clearly defining why the position you are applying for matches
your specific skills and expertise.
- Not following job application instructions.
- Acting desperate. Never let them know that you are
- Aiming too high. Donít apply to jobs that are way above your
qualifications or experience. Also, consider a job offer that pays
slightly less than your expectations, especially if it has good
potential for future advancement.
- Taking rejection the wrong way. Never rely on just one job that
you applied for. Keep applying until you have a formal written job offer.
- Pretending to know everything at interview time.
- Accepting a salary that's much less than what you are worth in
the job market. Learn to
negotiate a salary package that's acceptable before
accepting the job, including benefits and bonuses.
- Not being courteous, coming on too strong or having a bad
attitude are all job search mistakes you can avoid. Your etiquette says a lot about you.
Click on any of the following
very popular frequently asked questions & answers
categories: FAQ- Career, FAQ-
Salary/ Pay rise, FAQ-Job
Search, FAQ- Resume/
The above listed job search mistakes are the most common mistakes.
Obviously job candidates make other job search mistakes...
Please share these job search mistakes with
those you know, who can benefit from them.